Mixed

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

Export this record

Export record to excel

File type to download

Beta version

Record title

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

Call numbers

MLMSS 8294

Record identifier

1xqZlPQY

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

ACCESS
https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/1xqZlPQY

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

Full title

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

Date

1827-1918

Call Numbers

MLMSS 8294

Record Identifier

1xqZlPQY
Physical Description

Contents

0.04 metres of textual material and 15 black and white photographs (one box)
Other Descriptions

Level of description

Fonds

Access and use

Copying Conditions

Copyright status : In copyright. However, photographs in this collection created before 1955 are all out of copyright.

Research & study copies allowed : Author has been deceased for more than 50 years

Physical Access Conditions

This material is held offsite and can take up to 4 working days to retrieve. Please submit your request through Ask a Librarian

More information

SCOPE AND CONTENTS

Contents

Includes (1) handwritten letter from Maria St. Quintin, Portman Square, London, dated 15 March 1827, regarding the death of her husband Henry in Batavia; (2) handwritten letter from Alfred Cadell, Managing Director of the Vegetable Creek Tin Mining Co., dated 20 December 1888, to the Bank of New South Wales; (3) newspaper clipping regarding the dea...

ALTERNATIVE TITLES

Full title

Papers and photographs relating to the Oakes, Byrnes and Small families, 1827-1918

CONTEXTUAL INFORMATION

Source

Donated by Michael and Gwynneth Bell, 2006

Administrative / Biographical history

Francis Oakes, Esq., (1770-1844) landed in Sydney Cove in early 1798 on the 'Nautilus' and settled at Parramatta. Francis married Rebecca Small, daughter of John Small and reportedly the first female born in New South Wales of British parents. William Byrnes (1809-1891) married Ann, second daughter of Francis Oakes on 6 December 1834. William and Ann held a respected place in the society of Parramatta and Sydney as William had been appointed to the Upper House of the N.S.W. Parliament. This appointment was made from England prior to the establishment of responsible government in New South Wales, and was held by him for the remainder of his life. William's elder brother James (1806-1886) was also a member of parliament but was an elected member who mostly served in the Legislative Assembly. James and William were responsible for the construction of many large buildings especially in Church Street, Parramatta, were pioneers of steam ferry transport on the Parramatta River and in 1840-41 established a steam flour mill near the wharf. In 1844-46 they built a textile mill on the adjoining property and appear to have operated a brewery on Charles Street. William died on 25 October 1891 at Parramatta; he had the distinction of being both the oldest member of the Legislative Council and the oldest Freemason in the colony. James Byrnes died at his home, Edgeworth Cottage, Parramatta, on 17 September 1886. Emmaville, developed to service miners, was initially known as Vegetable Creek owing to the Chinese market gardens that emerged after mining commenced. The name was officially changed in 1882. References: http://www.easystreetretreat.com.au/australianroyalty/individual.php?pid=I73050&ged=purnellmccord.ged (accessed 28 February 2012) http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/byrnes-william-3334 (accessed 28 February 2012) http://www.smh.com.au/news/New-South-Wales/Emmaville/2005/02/17/1108...