SLNSW-Dr Bland's House in Pitt St [a view, with subsequ...-9AL4rWkY
Dr Bland's House in Pitt St [a view, with subsequent owner, Mr. Butts, on horseback], 1850s-1867? / Frederic C. Terry
Full title: Dr Bland's House in Pitt St [a view, with subsequent owner, Mr. Butts, on horseback], 1850s-1867? / Frederic C. Terry
Author/creator: Terry, Frederick Charles, 1826-1869.
Call Numbers: DL Pe 205
Record Identifier: 9AL4rWkY
Formats: Pictures, Watercolours
Contents: 1 watercolour - 15.4 cm x 25.4 cm, mounted on cardboard
The label is in the hand of Sir William Dixson and was on the paper backing when the picture was framed. It is now at Pe 205n. It reads: 'Dr Brand's House in Pitt St / now site of Richardson & Wrench's Auction rooms / Mr Butts (on horse back) afterwards had the house a hotel. / The 'Willow Tree was brought from St. Helena / 9another tree from St Helena, was planted in Pitt St near / the corner of Market St. struck by lightning / (owned by Mrs Priddle). This information does not appear to be correct according to Sands & Kenny's Sydney Directory for 1864, where Dr. William Bland is listed as living at 152 Pitt St., Stephen Butts is proprietor of the Metropolitan Hotel at 144 Pitt St., and Richardson and Wrench's premises are at 142 Pitt St. In the 1857 Directory 152 Pitt St. is listed as vacant land and Dr. Bland is living at 28 College St.
Digital order no:a1528648