Full title: Sydney Cove, 1836 / watercolour by Conrad Martens
Author/creator: Martens, Conrad, 1801-1878.
Call Numbers: V*/Sp Coll/Martens/12
Record Identifier: 9PQ8lbxn
Formats: Pictures, Drawings
Contents: 1 drawing - 33 x 48 cm - waterolour and pencil with scraping-out
Martens' Account book (ZDL MS 142), 26 Sept. 1836 lists 'View of Sydney Cove W. [Alexander Walker] Scott Esq. 6.6.0'.
Related pencil drawings (from nearby, but not corresponding exactly), 'Sydney Cove', 20.3 x 30.8 cm, and a later version, 'Sydney Cove - Oct. 4/38-', 20 x 29.8 cm, titles lower right, bequeathed by David Scott Mitchell, 1907, ZPXC 284, f. 1 and 5; 'Campbell Wharfe [sic]', title lower right, 8.5 x 14 cm, extending to left hand page of original sketchbook, bequeathed by Sir William Dixson, 1952, ZDLPX 14, ff. 40a-1
The drawings show Wharf House, the Campbell family residence, of which only the right-hand section appears in the watercolour. The most prominent buildings in the latter are the stone warehouses of Campbell's Wharf. The gabled house with side wings above the Wharf is Cumberland Place. The three-storey building, centre, stood at the junction of George Street North, Lower Fort and Cumberland Streets, near the Harbour View and Mercantile Hotels of later days. Between the tree branches, centre, is a two-storey house in Lower Fort Street, probably Bligh House (also known as St Elmo and Holbeck), originally called Clyde Bank and built about 1824 for Robert Crawford, Clerk in the Colonial Secretary's Office. Dawes Battery stands out prominently centre right.
Reproduced in Conrad Martens: life & art, by Elizabeth Ellis (1994), p. 21
'Sydney from Sandy Bay', 1836 (ZV*/Sp.Coll./Martens/11) was also commissioned by A.W. Scott and purchased by the Library from the Bury Art Galleries, London.
Digital order no:a1528453
MMS ID: 110314816