Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the f...

Export this record

Export record to excel

File type to download

Beta version

Record title

Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the first Catholic chapel in Sydney, 29 Oct. 1821]

Call numbers

SAFE/R 328

Record identifier

nQR2VOA1

Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the first Catholic chapel in Sydney, 29 Oct. 1821]

ACCESS
https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/nQR2VOA1

Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the first Catholic chapel in Sydney, 29 Oct. 1821]

Full title

Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the first Catholic chapel in Sydney, 29 Oct. 1821]

Date

1821

Call Numbers

SAFE/R 328

Record Identifier

nQR2VOA1

Formats

Physical Description

Contents

Objects - 28 cm. long - 1 engraved silver trowel (elliptical in shape) with ivory handleObjects - 19 cm. (length) x 9 cm. (width at widest point) - stained - 1 chamois sheath, to protect silver blade
Other Descriptions

Level of description

File

Access and use

Copying Conditions

Out of copyright : Artist died before 1955

Physical Access Conditions

Access to this pictures collection via appointment only. Please submit your request through Ask a Librarian

Issue Copy

Digitised

More information

ALTERNATIVE TITLES

Full title

Item 18: [Silver trowel used by Lachlan Macquarie at the ceremony of laying the first stone of the first Catholic chapel in Sydney, 29 Oct. 1821]

AUTHORS, ARTISTS AND CONTRIBUTORS

NOTES

General note

Made and probably inscribed by S[amuel?] Clayton. Further information in notes held at PXn 957, duplicate at ML Doc 310. Silversmith Samuel Clayton was transported to Australia for 7 years in 1816, receiving his ticket of leave in 1824. He advertised his services widely in the 'Sydney Gazette', eg "Jewellery and silverwork made and repaired" (1820)...

Signature / Inscriptions

"The Captn. Gen. Governor & Commander in Chief, Vice Admiral, and Commander of the Forces in and over the Territory of New South Wales and its Dependencies. His Excellency Lachlan Macquarie Esq. Major General in the Army &c &c &c. Used this Instrument at the Ceremony of laying the first Stone of the first Catholic Chapel erected in the said Territo...

Conservation note

Polished with a soft cloth,19/06/1991 (Req.2290)

CONTEXTUAL INFORMATION

Source

Presented by Mr & Mrs C.G. Campbell of Jura, Argyllshire, Scotland, 1962

Exhibited in

Stories in silver

Australia's first Catholics

Nelson Meers Foundation Heritage Collection

The Governor: Lachlan Macquarie, 1810 to 1821

The Governor : Lachlan Macquarie, 1810 to 1821 (Travelling exhibition)

Administrative / Biographical history

The first Catholic chapel was erected on land granted to Fathers Conolly and Therry, now the site of the present day St. Mary's Cathedral. The original chapel burnt down on 29 June 1865 and the subsequent pro-cathedral suffered the same fate in 1869. Reference: 'Stories in Silver' display (curated by Brian Eggleton), State Library of New South Wale...

Identifiers

PRIMARY IDENTIFIERS

Call Numbers

SAFE/R 328

Record Identifier

nQR2VOA1

Permalink

https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/nQR2VOA1

OTHER IDENTIFIERS

Reference code

430599

How to access this item